Bathroom design, renovation ideas
A number of factors will determine successful Bathroom Design or Renovation. Bathroom vanity units, designs, colour schemes and bathroom tiles are all important aspects of both new bathrooms and bathroom renovations. Bathroom design and renovation includes placement of vanity basins and shower units .
With many renovations it is the bathroom that is the first area to be renovated, an old bathroom is difficult to clean and often is really to small for the modern families. A Bathroom Renovation can be simple make over or a complete rebuild, depending on budget. Both small and large bathrooms can be functional given thought to design and practical requirements.
A simple upgrade of taps, towel rails, heating and a repaint can liven up a tired bathroom and keep costs down.
A full renovation may cosy more, however in the long run an easy to clean and functional bathroom is well worth the renovation costs.
Bathroom styles can be modern and contemporary or designed to fit a particular theme or period. Victorian bathroom fixture are readily available and Art Deco style bathrooms have real appeal in the right building.
With any bathroom design, renovation or plan for a new bathroom the first decision is to determine what sort of bathroom design and use are you looking for, en suite, guests bathroom, children’s bathroom. How many bathrooms do you need in the house, how many toilets do you need.
Popular Bathroom and en suite renovation and design features include
- Dual Flush or water saving toilets and water saving shower heads.
- Installation of accessible bathrooms, including walk in showers that allow easy access for family members as they age. This includes ‘doorless showers’. A shower over a bath is ‘OUT’ except in Victorian Bathroom Renovations.
- Dual bathroom basins
- LED Lighting
- Extraction fan and heater combination
Bathroom and Ensuite Renovations Decider Check List
- Shower over bath (space saver)
- Spa bath
- Vanity basin / vanity unit, or dual vanity basins
- Exhaust fans / bathroom heating
- Towel racks
- Power Points for hair dryers, and shavers.
- Separate toilet
- Combined laundry facilitiesThis will determine the size of the bathroom, you may need to change existing windows or doors, you may need a bigger area.
The Bathroom and Ensuite Renovation Planner by Reece is a great starting point for any bathroom renovation project.
Tap styles vary greatly, classic to ultra modern. Look for quality fittings in a style that fits your house.
bathroom design and renovation – Materials Check List
- Vanity unit
- Vanity basin, plug and waste (depending on the vanity chosen, should be included) Vanity tap set / mixer
- Toilet roll holder
- Ceiling fan
- Lighting (pendant / down lights / vanity spotlights)
- Shower screen
- Shower rose
- Shower tap set / mixer
- Towel rail/s
- Door handle (with privacy)
- Heated towel rail / under tile heating
- Bathroom wall tiles
- Bathroom floor tiles
- Border tiles (if required)
Bathroom Renovation costs will vary greatly depending on quality of finnish and fittings.Bathroom renovation costs can escalate if structural changes need to be made. En suite bathrooms are increasingly popular
DIY bathroom renovation and design is possible if you have basic tile laying skills. Electrical and Plumbing work should always be carried out by licensed contractors. Consult your local council for regulations.
If you are remodelling or building a new bathroom or en suite and would like a product to set of your modern bathroom design then have a look at the Solid stone bathtubs from Stone Age Design. Each and every one of our bath tubs and sinks are hand carved from naturally weathered boulders. Each boulder is hand picked for its unique texture or color.