How to choose the right oven and cooktop
Choosing a wall oven or cooktop for the kitchen is a fairly simple process once you determine your needs. A large family may require a larger than normal oven and cooktop, 75cm ovens are a popular choice. Height from floor may be also be a consideration when choosing wall ovens.
Features in modern ovens and cooktops are numerous, however many are never used, so consider oven and cooktop features what you will actually use before selecting your oven. Self cleaning oven features are very popular and help eliminate the need for using chemical cleaners.
Choosing Kitchen Ovens and Cooktops for Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, Canberra and Hobart.
Ovens are a major part of any kitchen renovation and a number of factors need to be considered when choosing an oven.
CHOOSING AN UNDER BENCH OVEN OR WALL OVEN (which is right for you)
Its a fairly simple trade off, bench space or bending (and a little aesthetics). Under bench ovens might allow more bench space, and be out of sight a little more, however they also require more bending. Take all of this into consideration when choosing a new oven.
GAS OVEN OR ELECTRIC OVEN
In general electric ovens seem to be more much more popular, they generally have better fine heat control. However gas ovens heat more quickly and fan forced gas ovens have a following with people who bake frequently.
- Ovens are generally advertised as 60cm wide 75cm and 90cm wide.
- A 60 cm oven is the most common however they are not that big if you are looking to bake a lot or have a big family.
- Some ovens that look like 60cm are actually smaller inside.
- Check the size of your favorite baking dish, if you wish it was a little bigger then add a little.
- Look for a 75cm oven, a good compromise.
- Blanco make a 75cm Multifunction Oven and Smeg a 70cm oven at time of writing.
Generally the choice is white, stainless steel or black, however colored ovens are available in some brands and models. Stainless steel ovens are by far the most popular choice, however white ovens and cooktops are still widely used.
Two types of self cleaning ovens, one cleans at a very high temperature and virtually reduces spills and splashes to ash that is easily wiped away with a damp cloth. Continuous Self-cleaning ovens have catalytic liners that will clean away smaller spills as they cook.
OVEN FEATURES AND CONTROLS
Modern Ovens have so many controls and features, we look at a few worth considering.
- Electronic controls
- Timers, programmable ovens, automatic programs for pizzas, bread etc
- Pilotless Ignition for gas ovens means you don’t keep a pilot light burning, fairly standard in most gas ovens.
- Warming Oven – A separate oven that allows you to keep food warm as well as cook at different temperatures.