Flat Pack Kitchens can be installed as a DIY project or you can have your flat pack kitchen cabinets and doors installed by a professional installer or a builder.
Flat Pack Kitchens or DIY kitchens with lower prices can be an economical way to renovate an existing kitchen or install a new kitchen. Flat Pack kitchens are kitchen cupboards, cabinets, doors and drawers designed to be easily installed by a home handyman although many people use a builder or specialist kitchen installer. We provide a guide to flat pack kitchen costs as well as what to consider when choosing, designing and installing a flat pack kitchen.
What is a Flat Pack Kitchen
Flat Pack Kitchens are made in a factory to templates specifically designed to fit to your needs. The unassembled parts each cabinet come in a different pack and are designed to be easily put together by a home handyman. The nature of manufacturing flat pack kitchens along with self assembly saves on cost.
How to design a Flat Pack Kitchen.
All Flat Pack Kitchen companies have a design service, however before you visit you need to consider any desired structural changes before designing the kitchen, Flat Pack Kitchens are no different to any others in this respect.
One of the basic requirements when designing a flat pack kitchen or or DIY kitchen is to have accurate measurements of the space you intent to use, including door and window positions.
Once you have determined the measurements, draw up a list of what you want to have in your kitchen including the number of cupboards, drawers and cabinets. Some things to consider when designing a flat pack kitchen are:
- Oven, under bench or wall oven
- Sink (Double – single)
- Cook top (60cm, 75cm or 90cm)
- Amount of bench space
- Range hood (width)
- Cupboard for Kitchen tidy
- Appliance cupboard
- Eating area. Separate table or bench
Armed with a list and some dimensions its now time to visit a few Flat Pack Kitchen Showrooms. Get a few ideas, see what extra features you might wish to add. Check out the variety of styles and finishes.
Flat Pack Kitchen Costs and Prices.
medium sized flat pack kitchen that would fit the needs of a family of 4 – 5 with a pantry, tower for oven, soft closing kitchen drawers, dishwasher and refrigerator cabinets could cost from $ 8-10,000 depending on finnish.
You need to allow for additional costs when installing a flat pack kitchen, so consider the list below (and add your own as well)
Additional costs when installing a flat pack kitchen may include:
- Appliances (Cook top, wall oven, dishwasher, rangehood, refrigerator, microwave, sink, taps)
- Bench tops (Timber, Granite, Laminate, Reconstituted Stone)
- Spalshbacks (stainless steel, glass, tiles)
- Plumbing (consider getting any extra plumbing done at the same time to cut costs)
- Light fittings (downlights, under bench lights, pendant lights)
- Electrical Work (consider rewiring older houses)
- Flooring (Tiles, Timber Flooring, Floor Sanding, Vinyl, Floating Floor, Polished Concrete)